Sometime during the month of May in 1931, Fr. Alex MacDonald, the Pastor of St. Mary’s Parish (1929-1958) called together the Altar Society and the women of the Parish to enlist their help in the Parish. The meeting resulted in the formation of the Guild:
“In order to comply with this request a larger group of ladies would be organised with several convenors and committtees, working under a president and vice-president. A secretary would also be elected. Convenors for six committees would be chosen. These committees were: Linens, Vestments, Altar Care, Charity, and Catechism. From this group of six convenors, the executive was chosen.” (History of the Parish by Archibald MacDonell-1997)
In 1997 the Parish History book summarized their acivities to that date:
Through the years, the Ladies Guild has been dedicated to caring for the church and the needs of the parish. The sanctuary, the altar, linens, and flowers have been special areas of work to the members. Money has been donated to the missionaries and local charities. A needy child in Brazil has been supported for the last eight year. Church Suppers and euchres were popular means of making money.”
In 2006, the work of the Guild continues, this year the guild raised over $17,000 for an accessibility ramp for the church entrance. It also spear headed an effort to frame pictures of all the former Pastors of the Parish. These pictures will decorate a wall in our small Hall.
This year the Guild celebrates 75 years of Service. A Mass will be celebrated in thanksgiving for all past and present members of the Guild on Sunday May 28, 2006 at 10:30am.
Deo Gratias!See More Photos:http://www.flickr.com/photos/parishpictures/sets/